Changgyeonggung Palace was built in 1483 by King Seongjong (the ninth king of the Joseon Dynasty) to take care of the wives of the preceding kings. Compared to other palaces, the size of the palace is compact and simple. Changgyeonggung Palaceis connected with Changdeokgung Palace. It's located east of the primary palace of Gyeongbokgung, so it is also referred to as "Donggwol," the "East Palace."
Myeongjeongjeon is the main hall of the palace, where state affairs were held, such as meetings with officials and the reception of foreign envoys. In particular, Myeongjeongjeon represents an outstanding example of seventeenth century Joseon architectural style and is the oldest main hall of any palace. While visiting Changgyeonggung Palace, it is recommended you visit nearby Changdeokgung Palace as well.
Most of the palace buildings were destroyed by the Japanese during the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592. The main buildings such as Myeongjeongjeon, Munjeongjeon (council hall), Hwangyeongjeon (Hall), Inyangjeon (Hall), Gongsacheong, and Honghwamun (Gate) were rebuilt by King Gwanghaegun (the fifteenth king of the Joseon Dynasty). During the Japanese occupation, the Japanese built a zoo on the site and renamed the palace "Changgyeongwon," meaning "Changgyeong Garden." Since 1987, the palace has been reconstructed and now resembles its original form.
Feb-May, Sep-Oct: 09:00~ 18:00
Jun-Aug: 09:00 ~ 18:30
Nov-Jan: 09:00 ~ 17:30
Ticket booth will close 1 hour prior to closing
※ Admission fee
Adults: 1,000KRW / Children: 500KRW